Food industry has an important role to play in combating climate change. We at Meira are committed to this work among the top Finnish companies and have joined the growing number of international companies that have had their emission reduction targets approved by SBTi’s impartial expert panel. Climate work is a pivotal part of our sustainability agenda, that is based on the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The targets covering greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from Meira’s own operations are consistent with reductions required to keep global warming to 1.5°C, the most ambitious goal of the Paris Agreement. Meira has committed to reduce absolute scopes 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 80 % by 2028 from a 2019 base year.
In Meira’s own operations, climate work is above all improving energy efficiency and increasing renewable energy. This work has been going on for years. We now have a precise, science-based target for 2028. We have already reduced the energy needs of Meira’s operations, switched to renewable electricity, and created a roadmap for replacing natural gas with biogas and switching to renewable district heating. For us, these are value choices – they are in line with our purpose “Fairly, For Far Better Moments”
Part of the climate work required by SBTi is to calculate the value chain emissions outside the own production (so-called scope 3 emissions) in accordance with the GHG Protocol standard, and to set a target for the climate work also with regard to scope 3 emissions.
In industrial production, it is very typical that most of the emissions are generated in the value chain outside one’s own direct operations. The largest single source of emissions in our operations is the cultivation of coffee and spices, where climate impacts arise, for example, from the production and use of fertilizers. That is why it is very important for us to have an active dialogue with our partners in the countries of origin to encourage them to study their own climate impact and to work relentlessly to reduce those impacts. This will be the focus of our sustainability work in the coming years.
Meira Oy’s science-based targets:
- Meira Oy commits to reduce absolute scopes 1 and 2 GHG emissions 80 % by 2028 from a 2019 base year*.
- Meira Oy commits to reduce absolute scope 3 GHG emissions from upstream transportation and distribution and waste generated in operations 50 % over the same time frame.
- Meira Oy commits that 90 % of its suppliers by emissions covering purchased goods and services will have science-based targets by 2025.
*The target boundary includes land-related emissions and removals from bioenergy feedstocks.
Greenhouse gas (GHG) emission development 2019-2022
- The year 2022 was an exceptional year in terms of emissions due to the fire that hit Meira in December 2021. Due to this reason, Meira’s emission distribution and emission levels in different categories are in different directions than in previous years and the so-called in the situation of our normal operating model.
- In 2022, our total emissions decreased further compared to the base year 2019. This is mainly due to the decrease in the amount of raw coffee purchased (scope 3, category 1: Purchased goods and services).
- In 2022 (scope 1-2), the decrease in emissions from Meira’s own operations was 55% compared to 2019.
- In 2022, Meira’s coffee was roasted by external partners for about 6 months. In addition, transportation services were used more for the same reason. Due to these reasons, e.g. the share of upstream transport is higher and the emissions of own operations are correspondingly lower.
On this page, we report annually on the development of greenhouse gas emissions in our value chain.