Food industry has an important role to play in combating climate change. We at Meira are committed to this work among the top Finnish companies and have joined the growing number of international companies that have had their emission reduction targets approved by SBTi’s impartial expert panel. Climate work is a pivotal part of our sustainability agenda, that is based on the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The targets covering greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from Meira’s own operations are consistent with reductions required to keep global warming to 1.5°C, the most ambitious goal of the Paris Agreement. Meira has committed to reduce absolute scopes 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 80 % by 2028 from a 2019 base year.
In Meira’s own operations, climate work is above all improving energy efficiency and increasing renewable energy. This work has been going on for years. We now have a precise, science-based target for 2028. We have already reduced the energy needs of Meira’s operations, switched to renewable electricity, and created a roadmap for replacing natural gas with biogas and switching to renewable district heating. For us, these are value choices – they are in line with our purpose “Fairly, For Far Better Moments”
Part of the climate work required by SBTi is to calculate the value chain emissions outside the own production (so-called scope 3 emissions) in accordance with the GHG Protocol standard, and to set a target for the climate work also with regard to scope 3 emissions.
In industrial production, it is very typical that most of the emissions are generated in the value chain outside one’s own direct operations. The largest single source of emissions in our operations is the cultivation of coffee and spices, where climate impacts arise, for example, from the production and use of fertilizers. That is why it is very important for us to have an active dialogue with our partners in the countries of origin to encourage them to study their own climate impact and to work relentlessly to reduce those impacts. This will be the focus of our sustainability work in the coming years.
Meira Oy’s science-based targets:
- Meira Oy commits to reduce absolute scopes 1 and 2 GHG emissions 80 % by 2028 from a 2019 base year*.
- Meira Oy commits to reduce absolute scope 3 GHG emissions from upstream transportation and distribution and waste generated in operations 50 % over the same time frame.
- Meira Oy commits that 90 % of its suppliers by emissions covering purchased goods and services will have science-based targets by 2025.
*The target boundary includes land-related emissions and removals from bioenergy feedstocks.
GHG emission development 2019-2020-2022
- Total emissions were reduced vs. 2019 base year. Mainly this is due to decrease of volume in green coffee purchased (scope 3, category 1: Purchased goods and services).
- Cut in scope 1-2 emissions by 36% from 2019. This was done by transferring electricity to renewable wind power and by improving energy efficiency.
- Increase of emissions in categories 7 (employee commuting) and 9 (Downstream transportation and distribution). This is due to that we have redefined the emission factors used in these categories to cover the emissions more comprehensively (e.g. well-to-wheel emission factor).
On this page, we report annually on the development of greenhouse gas emissions in our value chain.